Sunday, December 5, 2010

Christmas Gift Strategy

Shortly before Hope's first holiday season I read an article in a parenting magazine that completely changed the way we do Christmas. I wish I could take credit for this fabulous idea but I cannot. Unfortunately, I don't have the information to properly credit the mom who came up with this idea. If you are out there somewhere and happen to read this (yeah, right), thank you for the inspiration! The mom explained that their strategy for simplifying the holidays and making sure their children keep their wish list under control is to give each child three gifts in line with those that were brought to Jesus after his birth.

GOLD = The "big" gift they've been wanting
FRANKINCENSE = Something for their body
MYRRH = Something for their spiritual development


We decided to institute this tradition very early on so it's all our kids will know. Dave and I do the same for each other and honestly, it really helps to have focus and a bit of direction.

So this year, as we've done each year before, Hope is getting three gifts. I can share them with you here because let's face it, she doesn't read my blog. Maybe this list will spark some ideas for those that still have gifts to mark off their list.

GOLD = Loving Family Dollhouse by Fisher Price


We purchased the dollhouse back in the spring after finding it on a major sale. We then collected the dollhouse furniture throughout the year so we wouldn't bear the full cost during the season (dollhouse furniture can get pricey!).

Frankincense = Mommy and Me Aprons


These aren't the actual aprons. Mine are coming courtesy of my amazing friend Terri. But they will look something like this. Hope loves it when we both put on aprons while cooking or baking in the kitchen. When thinking of something "for the body" to give her, I thought this gift was both practical and meaningful.

Myrrh = Deliberate Kids CD



If you haven't tried these amazing CDs for your kids, I encourage you to visit deliberatekids.com Phil Joel (formerly of the Newsboys) and his wife, Heather have created these awesome resources for kids. The worship is both excellent and fun! Hope loves dancing around to the first CD so I know she'll love the next edition.

What are your holiday traditions? We'd love to hear about them this month as we all prepare to celebrate the season as simply yet meaningful as possible.

Happy Shopping!

1 comment:

  1. I wish we had started like this! I keep trying to simplify Christmas, but my husband had some lean Christmases where he felt horrible, so he has this internal need to have big Christmases.

    I try to keep it balanced by having 1 gift from Santa and 1 gift from each member of the family which would be a total of 5. It ends up being more like a total of 10, which to me seems like too much, but I don't know compared to the rest of the world.

    ReplyDelete