Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Constant Cravings


After only a few weeks of pregnancy, I was struck by nausea. Constant nausea. There was no "morning sickness" just an all day lingering 'blah'. I didn't vomit very much, though most days I wished I would, so that maybe I might feel a little better. Eating seemed to help the nausea, especially carbs. Shakes (from Swensons were the best) would often soothe my upset stomach, though they most likely contributed to my stretch marks. I don't remember any food aversions I had, though patients often tell me theirs and they are very common at this point in pregnancy.

My two main cravings throughout my pregnancy were apples and Dr. Pepper. I would eat at least two sometimes up to five apples a day. It was during pregnancy that I discovered honeycrisp apples which are perhaps the most delightful of all apples. I would be almost giddy with anticipation as I pulled a fresh honeycrisp out of the fridge and took a huge bite. The sweet crispiness would hit my tongue, while the juices ran down my chin. Then I would be faced with a conundrum: do I take another bite first or do I pause to wipe off the juices? Usually the next bite won the contest, as I attacked the apple much like lions attack antelopes on the Discovery channel.

My rare treat was Dr.Pepper, BUT it had to be in a can and REALLY cold. The best were Dr Peppers that had been in a cooler with the ice half melted so that they were floating in the freezing water. SO cold that it would give a slight chill as it ran down my throat helping, if only for a moment, for me to forget about my heart burn and focus on the sweet, fizzy, cold, wonderfulness that is Dr. Pepper in a can.

What do these crazy cravings mean? Despite being a common symptom of pregnancy there is not a lot of data on pregnancy craving. The first trimester is a pivotal point in pregnancy, where all the tiny organs are forming. This is a key time to avoid chemical/ foods that might cause harm to the baby, leading to malformations. It's thought that this is why God made that first trimester to have the aversions and nausea, to avoid foods and chemical that might be harmful. Its also important to take your prenatal vitamin daily, as the folic acid gives the spine its building blocks to help it form properly, preventing spina bifida. Carbs, which are a common craving, are one of the easiest foods to digest, full of energy, safe for the baby and can help ease the nausea.

The key with first trimester eating, especially if you are fighting nausea, is to eat small meals through out the day. The baby doesn't need a large amount of calories at this point, so you don't need to eat an increased amount of food, but do try to eat small amount of heathly carbs and protein throughout the day: Whole grain bagels, whole grain pasta, applesauce, bananas, rice, toast ect.

If you feel you are eating too much, gaining too much weight or constantly hungry then focus on trying to slow down the speed of your eating: spend 20 minutes eating a bagel.

What if I'm having weird cravings? Some people will crave things that aren't food, such as dirt, laundry soap, baby powder, ice or paint. This can be a sign of anemia or a vitamin deficiency. If you find that you are eating or craving non-food items please tell your doctor immediately.

Will my baby like the things I crave during pregnancy? I often get asked this question, but medically we don't know. In my own experience my son does LOVE apples, one the few foods he likes (that's a whole OTHER post!).

If you have healthy cravings, like fruits and vegetables, then go with it! If you have non-healthy cravings (IE, REALLY cold Dr Pepper in a can) then give in to those once or twice a week, not once or twice a day! If you have non-food craving notify your doctor.

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to take the power of thanking you for that specialized guidance I've constantly enjoyed viewing your blog. Best pregnancy pillow

    ReplyDelete