Sunday, December 12, 2010

Tidings of Comfort and Joy

Things that have made me happy this week:

1.Carson waking up:
When Carson wakes up from his nap, first he starts jabbering. Then, when I walk in the room to 'rescue' him from his crib, he gets so excited that he stands up, holds onto the crib rail and bounces up and down. He giggles with his whole body, reaches up and says mom-ma. A heart melter for sure.

2.Russ telling a joke:
So, we're driving along and the Pink song, "Get the Party Started" begins playing on the radio. Russ says in the most deadpan voice, "Oh. its my theme song." It takes knowing Russ for many years to appreciate the irony of this snarky comment, but I laughed so hard my eyes started to water. In that moment I was reminded how much he is and how much I love him. Even after 17 years together, just sitting beside him laughing at silly inside jokes, is often one of my happiest moments of the day.

3.Delivering twins:
I find joy in delivering babies, EVEN the 2 a.m. deliveries., but twins are even more special. Twice the fun I guess. There's the challenge of getting the second twin out as safely as the first, combined with all the extra energy in the room and just the fact that its not an every day occurrence I guess. Whatever reason, I love it.

4.Seeing a heart beat:
A patient's first pregnancy visit often has a slight air of tension in the room. Especially when their is a history of loss or infertility, you can tell the patient is only concerned about one thing: seeing that flicker of a heart beat on the ultrasound. This week I was able to show that flicker to two patients who had waited a long time to see it, and then see the sense of relief wash across their faces was a true moment of comfort and joy.

5.Ryan (age 6) quote:
"Mom I'm glad we're mammals and not reptiles, because I like living with you and dad, and reptiles abandon their young." sweetness.

6.Anticipation of Christmas day:
I will get to spend Christmas day with my whole family this year. We will all be together for the first time in a long time and that will be awesome.

7.The knowledge that our book is actually being printed at this moment!

Merry Christmas to you all. May your holiday season be full of joy and all your travels be safe. I hope this will inspire you to take a few minutes to really count your blessing and think on the things that truly give you joy.





2 comments: