Thursday, March 25, 2010

Why THIS Pregnancy Book?

Since Dr. Rupe recently posted about why we were embarking on this journey, I thought I'd share the story I recently recorded in the manuscript of how the idea of this book came to be. . .

{From Chapter 5}

I want to share with you a story from a time in my pregnancy where God pretty much whipped my butt into shape regarding worry. Actually, it’s a funny story, which shows you that God cares enough about our thoughts and our peace of mind to lovingly and laughingly discipline us from time to time.

Keep in mind my first two pregnancies did not make it past 12 weeks. After two miscarriages I was understandably on guard when it came to anything out of the ordinary. I was 19 weeks pregnant and we were getting ready for church one Sunday morning when suddenly I sneezed. This was a big ole sneeze and as I let it out something abnormal happened. I felt a little fluid down below and so I did what any post-miscarriage, 19-week pregnant mom-to-be would do – I referred to my “pregnancy bible.” “If you feel leaking fluid,” the book explained, “you may have broken or punctured your amniotic sac. Call your doctor immediately.” I put the book down and dialed Dr. Rupe’s office. Since it was a Sunday, I received a return phone call from one of Dr. Rupe’s colleagues. I explained what happened and that I wondered if I was leaking amniotic fluid. She obviously didn’t know my history when she candidly replied, “If you are, then there’s nothing we can do to save the baby at this point. But come in to the ER so we can check you out.” You can imagine my tension level while driving 20 minutes to the ER. My husband and I didn’t say one word to each other but we both knew the scenarios running through each of our minds. We arrived at the ER and they completed an ultrasound. To our delight they discovered that everything was fine with our baby and my amniotic sac. In fact, I had merely peed in my pants upon sneezing, an embarrassing side effect for many expectant moms. I’ve never been more excited to have peed in my pants in my life (not that I’ve otherwise done it too often). We laughed the entire way home and I knew the Lord was smiling down on me saying, “Why can’t you just trust me?”

Days later I realized there was a great need in the market for a resource like this. I approached Dr. Rupe and naturally she agreed to join me on this ride. We are so excited to have the opportunity to share truth and peaceful perspective with pregnant women. We pray that many will be blessed by our effort.

Pray for us! We spend most of the day Monday combing through this thing. We have 7 days to wrap it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment