Friday, March 19, 2010

Why Another Pregnancy Book?

Today, when I was in the office, I went in to see a sweet patient who was 30 weeks pregnant. Reviewing her chart, she was very low risk and had had no problems with her pregnancy. Her exam was fine. The baby’s heartbeat was healthy and strong. We chatted for a little bit, then I asked if she had any questions.
She seemed to hesitate, but then asked almost sheepishly, “Are you really sure everything is OK?”
I replied that, yes, everything was going fine.
“I don’t know.” She replied. “Since my first pregnancy was a miscarriage, I just keep worrying that something is going to go wrong, like it did before. With every twinge I brace myself that it might be preterm labor. When I get up to go to the bathroom at night, I turn on the lights so I can double check I’m not bleeding.” Her anxiety was nearly palpable.
I spent several minutes trying to reassure her with facts. Having one miscarriage was not going to increase her risk of complications this pregnancy. I felt saddened that she had let misinformation add so significantly to her anxiety. She had no risk factors for preterm delivery, so her chances of that would be extremely low at this point. She seemed a little better after my explanation, but I could sense that worry was still going to be her nemesis this pregnancy.
After she had left and I finished charting, I realized that she was exactly why we were writing this book. She needed my reassuring facts, accurate information, but also she needed peace. That is our hope, to help women walk through their pregnancies with an added level of peace; to be appropriately cautious without being scared; to enjoy their belly bulge and not worry about stretch mark; and to feel a level of comfort that can only be found as they bathe themselves in God’s Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment