Saturday, May 1, 2010

Breast Is Best...For Some, Not All

I read an interesting article in the May issue of Redbook about breastfeeding. Interesting to me because I did not breastfeed Hope but perhaps controversial and bothersome to others. Still it is refreshing to see both sides of the story being told in our 'breast is best' society. While I completely agree that breast is best, having not been able to use mine to adequately nourish my child, I am happy to see others like me find their voice in the mommy world.

Read for yourself and if you are at that place of deciding on breast or bottle, I hope you'll feel confident in the decision you make for you and your baby.

Redbook Mag Breastfeeding Article

I don't mean to brag but my two year old has never had an ear infection or been on antibiotics so formula must be worth the small fortune I paid for it! Just a bit of encouragement from my experience for those considering keeping their boobs inside their bra for the first year of their child's life.

We'd love to hear your breast or bottle feeding successes or woes.

Here's to dairy...no matter what its source,

3 comments:

  1. I hate it when people are so pushy about breastfeeding. I had a pretty good experience breastfeeding with both my boys but it's not the "end all be all" of mommyhood. And to make someone feel guilty for NOT breastfeeding? That's just ridiculous! Formula is great and I can't tell you how many times I wished my kids were on formula so I could get away from them for awhile! :)
    But no matter which way you go, the important thing is that your child is getting nourished and how you choose to do that definitely doesn't define you as a mother!
    Personally I think all the special benefits of breastfeeding are overly hyped up anyways. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Steph. Great perspective. It's good to hear how it worked well for some women. But I will admit, formula came in handy for regular nights out with the girls for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree! I was blessed to be able to breast feed my first for a good 9 months ( my motto was "until teeth"), but I was also able to pump so I could get out for a little every once-in-a-while. I supplemented with formula too, come to think of it. With my second, I breast fed for a little, but had so many complications and was in and out of the hospital so much that I had to stop. Abi just had her first ear infection at about 3 (and has never had anything outside of that), but Amanda has never had one (no antibiotics either). They have both been very healthy and have never questioned using formula. I have known people who have done nothing but breast milk and have had children who have always been sick with something. Breast or formula - doesn't matter as far as health. Whatever works best for you and your family is what you should use! Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete