Monday, November 15, 2010

Sick and Pregnant!

So I have a cold. It stinks. My throat is raw and my nose is full of snot. It's hard enough being sick but being sick when you are pregnant is miserable. What I wouldn't do for some NyQuil right now!

My husband and I were out and about yesterday when I felt this cold coming on and unfortunately, I could not for the life of me remember what medications I could take (despite having read this manuscript 50,000 times). The very uninterested Publix pharmacist did not help although he did remind me I could take Sudafed (which, by the way, I had to sign for). I was not near my own Publix otherwise I would have received a warm welcome, lots of helpful information and a huge congratulations that I am expecting. (Not all Publix stores were created equal).

And now, here I am at home. In front of my computer where I could check my handy, dandy Pregnancy Companion manuscript (don't you wish you had the book already?!) and here's what it says:

Colds and upper respiratory illnesses are also quite annoying. Acetaminophen (Tylenol), guaifenesin (Robitussin), and phenylephrine (Sudafed) are generally safe to take during pregnancy. Make sure to avoid products that contain ibuprofen (Motrin or Advil) or aspirin. If you begin to cough up chunky junk (yes, that’s a medical term) or have a fever, you should see your doctor. It is highly recommended that you get the flu shot while you are pregnant. If you do get influenza with body aches, chills, and fevers, you should be started on antiviral drugs quickly. Some OB offices treat their sick pregnant patients in the office; others will have you see your family doctor. Check with your doctor on office policy.

So there you have it. No, I cannot take NyQuil or the myriad other drugs I would normally use to knock myself out, but I can do this:

- Drink lots of water
- Drink decaf tea to soothe my throat (Decaf PG Tips is my favorite)
- Rest
- Take Sudafed and Tylenol
- Sleep with an extra pillow to keep my head elevated
- Sleep with the window cracked for extra air circulation and thus less stuffiness (this is my husband's trick), of course this requires you raise the heat
- Make an appointment to have my flu shot because let's face it, I don't want to feel this yucky again!

Got any pregnancy sickness tips? Leave a comment, we'd love to hear them!


P.S. I LOVE being pregnant and writing this blog. Now I will have real time, real life pregnancy topics to discuss first hand. And believe me, I should have plenty. I experienced about every, silly, little thing you could experience when I was pregnant with Hope!

2 comments:

  1. Jessica! I've got tears in my eyes here at work ... I can't tell you how happy I am for you! I was wondering where you were today. I guess you are sick and pregnant!

    Seriously, though, I will be praying so hard for you in these coming weeks and months. You are such an inspiration! I can see how faithful you've been to God, and He is faithful in return.

    Let me know if you need baked goods or dinner one night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss both of you ladies. I wish I was at CT to experience this all with you :) Jessica, you should enjoy some of Melanie's baked goods while she's offering....and have one for me, too! :)
    -Ashley

    ReplyDelete